Wednesday, August 15, 2012

World's Best Mac N' Cheese

I don't think I enjoy a meal more than Mac N' Cheese.... Honestly, I don't.

There is nothing that compares to a steaming bowl of creamy, thick, salty, delicious cheesey pasta.  Nothing that creates the same ooey, gooey, endless string that sticks to your fork when you pull out another bite.   Nothing that screams "childhood" or "I just want to sit in my pjs, watch movies, & eat comfort food" more than this dish.

I have had many many many mac n' cheeses in my day...  Everywhere from the infamous Kraft, to the delicious Wisconsin Mac N' Cheese from Noodles & Co..  And I can't forget the Lean Cuisine Mac N' Cheese that brings me back to those nights when I faked a sore throat so I could eat warm delicious Mac N' Cheese for dinner instead of whatever gross, healthy thing my parents were cooking up...  

My whole life I have thought those Mac N' Cheeses were the bomb-diggity.... until I met my own.

Seriously, I don't think I have ever tasted a Mac N' Cheese quite like this.  If Mac N' Cheese could be perfected (Not trying to sound all high on myself-but really) I think I brought it home... even surprising myself when I took that first bite.

This Mac N' Cheese honestly came from no where.  Seriously, I just mixed together some random "mac-n-cheesy" ingredients that I had in my house and just went for it.  I made it up as I went and came up with a Mac N' Cheese that I think could win awards.

Truly, it is the World's best.

With a crispy, garlicky homemade breadcrumb top, filled with 5 different velvety cheeses that soak into delicious, hot noodles... this recipe is a winner.

So, sorry Kraft, Noodles & Co. and Lean Cuisine.  Oh, and sorry to whoever prepares Mac N' Cheese ever again for me... there will never be a Mac N' Cheese that comes close to this one and absolutely none that will ever put a big cheesy smile on my face as this one does!  Now go smile, indulge, and prepare to have your preferences on Mac N' Cheese change forever


Ingredients:
1/2 package of rigatoni
1/2 package of pastina
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup part-skim three cheese mexican blend, shredded
1/2 cup reduced fat medium sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (3 TBS reserved for topping)
1/2-3/4 cup Low fat Cottage Cheese
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 slices Sourdough bread, toasted
2 large garlic cloves, minced
Extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook pastas according to package.  (You can use whatever pasta you would like!) 


While pasta is cooking, add Mozzarella, Three Cheese Blend, Medium Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan (reserve 3 TBS for topping- set aside), and Cottage Cheese to a food processor or blender.


Blend together until cheese becomes a paste. 


Once pasta is done cooking, drain pasta from water and add to bowl.  Add cheese mixture to pasta.


Mix and coat all pasta.


Toast two slices of sourdough bread in the oven for about 3 minutes.  While toasting, mince garlic.  


In a food processor, break apart sourdough bread and add bread, garlic, and 3 TBS of Parmesan cheese.  Blend together to create breadcrumb-like texture.


Spray a baking dish with Non-Stick Cookings Spray.  Pour pasta into baking dish.  Spoon breadcrumb mixture over pasta.  (You probably won't use all breadcrumbs.)  Drizzle extra virgin olive oil lightly over top of pasta. 


Bake for 10 minutes until pasta is warmed through.  Broil for a few minutes until top of pasta becomes golden brown.



NOW DIG IN AND GET THAT CHEEEEESE.




No comments:

Post a Comment