Sunday, July 1, 2012

Nutella Banana Muffins

So after a month of hectic moving-craziness, I am finally settled in my new house.  Believe me, being away from this blog for so long was making me go bonkers, but at least now I am settled in which will allow me to make up for my slackin'!

Today was the first day in a loooong time that I was actually free.  Free from moving boxes.  Free from work.  And free from school.  So of course the solution to my "I-am-finally-free-I-dont-know-what-to-do" day was to bake!

With my limited supplies in the kitchen, I took one look at my browned bananas that very badly needed to be thrown out and knew exactly what I was going to make.

Banana muffins.

But wait a second... banana muffins seem boring.  So I looked in my pantry, praying I would have just the right ingredient to make these banana muffins perfect.

And I did... :)

NUTELLA. and lots of it.

Nutella is sooo sooo soooo good. It is good on toast, in a cookie, heck, even on a spoon, so obviously it would be absolutely amazing in these muffins.  (For those of you who don't know what Nutella is, it is a creamy, chocolate-hazulnet spread that is make from hazelnuts, skim milk, and cocoa.)

These muffins are fluffy, creamy, rich, and decadent.  Who wouldn't want a muffin like that?  So, turn on your oven, 'cause you will be wanting these in your mouths asap.


Ingredients:
2 eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup applesauce
3/4 TBS vanilla
3/4 TBS vegetable oil
1 3/4 all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 container of Nutella
Pecans, (optional) - I didn't use any but they'd be good with them!

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.  In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.


Mash bananas with a fork in a small bowl.


Add bananas, applesauce, vanilla, and oil to sugar/egg mixture and beat until combined.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.


  Slowly add the flour mixture to banana mixture, beating just until combined.  Using a spoon or cookie dough scoop, add mixture into each muffin tin about 3/4 the way full.


For the Swirly topping: (my fav!)

Dollop a heaping 1/2-1 tsp. on top of each muffin.



Repeat with all muffins.



Using a toothpick, swirl the Nutella all over the muffin batter.



To fill the muffin with Nutella:


Take a teaspoon and scoop out part of muffin mix.


Drop a dollop of Nutella (about 1/2 a heaping teaspoon) into middle of muffin.



Cover the Nutella with the teaspoon of batter you removed.



Repeat with all muffins.  Bake muffins for 20 minutes or until browned on top and come out clean with a toothpick.

Wallah! Look at these delicious muffins...

Swirled top muffin:




Nutella-filled muffin:





No comments:

Post a Comment