Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mini Mexican Stuffed Pepper Poppers

So you all know how obsessed I am with the Bachelor and how I get together with my girlfriends every Monday night to watch the show, drink wine, gossip, and eat some awesome, tiny bites.

This week was hometown dates, so of course, my appetizer had to be scrumptious.  These episodes are getting real and good, as my app needed to be.

After thinking long and hard about what I wanted to make-besides this awesome Fourth of July cake that I will show you at the bottom of this post, just because it was sooooo freaking cool- I finally found these little baby stuffed peppers.  I saw a bag of them at the store, and couldn't resist!  They were so tiny and cute!

I knew immediately what I was going to make- Mini Mexican Stuffed Pepper Poppers!

It's a mouthful to say... and a bite-ful to eat ;)

So next Bachelor night ('cause I know most- if not all- of you are all guilty of having Bachelor nights) I encourage you to make these little crunchy, packed poppers.  They are SO easy to make, super duper healthy, and deliver a pack of punch, full of flavor.

So try not to eat all of them, or pull the gooey-ooey cheese melted all over the top.  I dare you.

Oh, and don't be afraid to pull a Chris Harrison, and announce, "Ladies, (or gentlemen) it is the final pepper".  But believe me, you won't have to wait 2 hours for that to happen.

Ingredients:
1 package frozen corn, thawed
1 medium tomato, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
1/2 yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

1 cup instant brown rice
3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 package mini red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, seeded and halved

Low fat shredded mexican cheese
1 container low fat sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a large bowl add corn.


Add diced tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and garlic, cilantro and spices.


Cook brown rice according to package.  Add to mixture.  Drain and rinse black beans and add to mixture.


Rinse mini bell peppers.  Seed and cut peppers in half, lengthwise.

  
Stuff the peppers with a heaping amount of the corn and rice mixture.  Place on cookie sheet.


Cover peppers with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.  After 35 minutes, remove aluminum foil and top peppers with cheese.


Place back in oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and browned.  ENJOY!



Oh, and here is my delicious 4th of July cake that I promised to show you :)  (Inspired by www.bakingdom.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment